Depending on your home, the original design of the window and type of setting you want, replacement windows can fit your needs, design ideas and more.
Window replacements come in several options – the most popular is wood, vinyl and fiberglass. Which type is best for your home depends on several factors, such as the aesthetic you want to create or maintain. Your budget and how long you plan to be in order to make an informed purchase decision.
Wood Replacement Windows
Wood windows are typically selected for their beauty and aesthetics. They are an energy-efficient replacement window choice with only a few drawbacks. If you plan to restore a historical home, wood is the typical replacement window choice. Wood replacement windows generally add value to the home.
Pros of wood replacement windows:
- Strong material
- Good insulator
- Pleasing aesthetics inside and outside
- Available in vinyl or fiberglass-clad
- Can be painted
- Longevity when properly maintained
- Best noise resistance
Cons of wood replacement windows:
- Needs regular maintenance
- Most expensive replacement window type
- Requires painting, sanding, and refinishing
- Vulnerable to insect damage
- Harder to insulate
Vinyl Replacement Windows
Vinyl replacement windows make up approximately two-thirds of all windows installed across the U.S. They are less expensive and require less maintenance than wood windows.
Pros of vinyl replacement windows:
- Better insulating values over aluminum windows
- Lowest cost
- Low maintenance
- Wood-look finishes available
Cons of vinyl replacement windows:
- More prone to damage and warping due to lower strength
- Moderate insulating values versus wood and fiberglass
- Prone to damage from UV exposure
- Cannot be painted
- Susceptible to temperature changes
- Cannot repair vinyl
Fiberglass Replacement Windows
Fiberglass replacement windows offer excellent efficiency and durability. They are low maintenance and come in wood-look finishes to deliver the aesthetic of wood windows with lower maintenance needs.
Fiberglass replacement windows are typically considered the best option in most settings. Fiberglass windows enhance a home, benefiting resale values.
Pros of fiberglass replacement windows:
- Highly energy efficient (3x more than vinyl)
- Excellent durability
- Best insular values
- Long service life
- Can be painted
- Wood-look finish options
- Lower maintenance than wood
- Tough against temperature changes and UV light
Cons of fiberglass replacement windows:
- More expensive than vinyl
- Requires repainting and some maintenance
- Frames may deteriorate over the years
Consult a Replacement Windows Expert
Selecting replacement windows can be quite confusing, when there are so many benefits and drawbacks of each replacement type. A replacement windows professional is best suited to help you find the features you want at an affordable price.
Replacement window companies are experienced in the pros and cons of each replacement type and have a detailed knowledge of their features and construction. They also possess real-world experience with how each replacement window type looks and performs in certain settings.
Window Makeover makes choosing replacement windows simple! Our knowledgeable staff will review your options and help you select the perfect replacement windows for your home.
With your wish list of features and budget in mind, we’ll show you the best options and answer all questions you may have before making a decision. Contact us today to get started!